Minimize stress, maximize joy
Life is full of stressors. Here are some helpful tips to treat yourself well:
- Begin the day with a solid breakfast. Individuals who eat a good breakfast perform better at work and school. A good breakfast also helps with weight management.
- Keep good food handy. Pack your lunch and snacks for the day to help ensure protein and good fat, along with fruits and vegetables, are easily accessible.
- Sidestep liquid calories. Juices, sweet drinks, and alcohol are major contributors to weight gain, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Maintain a consistent daily routine – sit down, even if only briefly, to eat something three times a day. Take activity breaks frequently.
- Get some exercise every day, even if it's only 10 to 20 minutes worth. Remember, in Oregon, there's no bad weather – just bad gear.
- Sleep is a nutrient – poor sleep (generally considered fewer than seven hours) is associated with obesity, diabetes, increased coronary calcification, decreased immunity.
- Be kind to yourself; smile.