You're covered when you travel outside the US

Following are answers to commonly asked questions about your benefits when you travel outside the US.

Q. What are my health plan benefits when I travel outside of the US?
A. As a PEBB Statewide Plan member when you travel outside the US, count on in-plan benefits when you access health care for medically necessary services.

Q. Are my dependents also covered when they travel outside the US?
A. Yes, enrolled dependents are covered at the in-plan benefit level when they receive care for medically necessary services.

Q. Are there steps I can take before I travel to prepare for any medical needs while I’m out of the country?
A. Yes. Please call the PEBB Statewide Plan Customer Service number at 503-574-5500 or 888-549-4902 and let us know that you will be out of the country. This will streamline our efforts to assist you with any claims you may need to make during that time.

Q. I take prescription medications, how can I can I best prepare for my trip to make sure I have the medications I need?
A. Be prepared before you travel:

  • Fill your maintenance medications. Plan at least 21 days to fill these prescriptions through one of our mail order vendors or fill up to a 90-day supply at a retail pharmacy.
  • If you are going to be out of the country longer than 90-days please contact PEBB Statewide Customer Service for extended request assistance from the Pharmacy Team.
  • Keep prescriptions in their original containers with their original label.
  • Take a copy of your prescription in case medications are lost or stolen.

Q. What if I need to get a prescription filled while I’m outside the states?
A. When filling a prescription out of the country, you will need to pay the pharmacy directly and submit a claim request (PDF) to Providence Health Plan for reimbursement. If you are taking a maintenance drug, you may be able to avoid this process by arranging to have your medications filled through a mail-order service or requesting an extended supply via Providence Health Plan. If you are on sabbatical or extended training that takes you outside the country for more than 90 days, contact customer service to request extended supplies.

Q. I rely on durable medical equipment to help manage my health condition. What should I consider before I travel?
A. Know the airlines’ travel guideline associated with Durable Medical Equipment.

Q. Is there important contact information I should bring?
A. Have the following numbers on hand when you travel:

  • Providence Customer Service: 1-800-878-4445
  • Providence Resource Line: 1-800-562-8964
  • ProvRN: 1-800-700-0481. Providence RN Medical Advice Line is available day or night, seven days a week; the telephone number is located on the back of your member identification card.

We encourage you to save these numbers in your phone and keep a hard copy with you as well.

Q. What documents should I bring if I need health care services?
A. Print and bring copies of the International Claims Form. While you’re out of the country, you can also access it online. Also be sure to have your Member ID card (and a copy of it too). You can also download your card using our Smart Phone App.

Q. How will I find a local hospital or emergency room if I need it?
A. If it’s an emergency, that is you’re suffering from a life-threatening injury or illness, or a condition that would place your health in serious jeopardy, call the country’s emergency number. For instance, in the US the emergency number is 9-1-1. In most European countries, the emergency number is 1-1-2. You can also call ProvRN – available 24/7 – to help navigate your health need.

Q. How do I access medically necessary urgent care services?
A. Call Providence Customer Service at 1-800-878-4445. A customer service team member will help locate a facility of provider.

Q. How are international health care services that I receive paid?
A. How claims are paid depends on the provider. Some international providers will submit a claim for health care services to Providence Health Plan on your behalf. In some cases, however, you may be required to pay for services when you receive care.

Q. How do I get reimbursed if I’m required to pay for services at the time I receive care?
A. Follow these steps to get reimbursed:

  1. We encourage you to call customer service about international travel health care services before you travel. This will streamline our efforts to assist you with any claims you may need to make while you’re out of the country.
  2. If you receive health care, request an itemized bill for the services you receive. If the bill is in a foreign language please request that it be translated into English.
  3. Use this information to complete the International Claims Form
  4. Ask the provider to complete the Health Care Provider section on the form.
  5. Submit your itemized bill, proof of payment and a completed International claims form to Providence Health Plan. Be sure to include your group and member identification number, which are located on your Member ID Card.
  6. Please note that you have up to one year from the date of service to submit your request for reimbursement.

Q: What should be included on the itemized bill?
A. Itemized bills should include:

  • Date of service
  • Name, address, tax identification number, and address of the physician or other medical provider who provided the service
  • Diagnosis and procedure code(s)
  • Amount charged for each service

Q. Where can I get additional information about benefits when I travel outside the US?
A. Please see your International Claims Form for more information, or contact Providence Health Plan’s customer service team at 800-878-4445.