CMS will be mailing new cards beginning April 2018
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is required to remove Social Security Numbers (SSNs) from all Medicare cards by April 2019. A new, unique Medicare Number will replace the SSN-based Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) on each new Medicare card. Starting April 2018, CMS will begin mailing new Medicare cards to all people with Medicare.
- The new Medicare Card will have a new Medicare number.
- The new Medicare card doesn’t replace your Providence Medicare Advantage Plans card.
- The new Medicare number is needed to join, leave, or switch to a different plan.
- Medicare Advantage plan members may be asked to show their Medicare cards for hospital services.
- Please destroy your old Medicare card once you receive your new card. Keep your Providence Medicare Advantage Plans card.
- Be aware of anyone who contacts you about the new Medicare card and report suspected scams to 1-800-MEDICARE.
For more information about your Medicare card, visit https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-and-resources/your-medicare-card.html.