CMS will be mailing new cards beginning April 2018
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is required to remove Social Security Numbers (SSNs) from all Medicare cards by April 2019. A new, unique Medicare Number will replace the SSN-based Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) on each new Medicare card. Starting April 2018, CMS will begin mailing new Medicare cards to all people with Medicare.
- You do not have to do anything to obtain the new card. No fee is associated with receiving the new card. Medicare will never call you uninvited and ask you to give personal or private information to get your new Medicare Number and card.
- Be aware of anyone who contacts you about the new Medicare card and report suspected scams to 1-800-MEDICARE.
- The new Medicare Card will have a new Medicare number.
- The new Medicare card doesn’t replace your Providence Medicare Advantage Plans card.
- The new Medicare number is needed to join, leave, or switch to a different plan.
- Medicare Advantage plan members may be asked to show their Medicare cards for hospital services.
- Please destroy your old Medicare card once you receive your new card. Keep your Providence Medicare Advantage Plans card.
For more information about your Medicare card, visit https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-and-resources/your-medicare-card.html.
H9047_2018PHA240 CMS APPROVED