This is a forgiving recipe. You can substitute your own choice of vegetables, like green onions, sweet red bell peppers or just minced onion. The salad can be served hot, warm or room temperature.
- 1 ½ cups brown lentils
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 cup ¼-inch diced cucumber
- 1 cup ½-inch diced tomato
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, if you have it
- Combine the lentils with the water. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. (Check after 30 minutes.) You should have about 4 cups of cooked lentils.
- While the lentils are cooking, combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic, seasonings and onion in a mixing bowl. Set aside until lentils have finished cooking. Drain lentils in a colander. Add hot, drained lentils to the dressing and onion mixture. Toss thoroughly but gently. Set salad aside for about 15 minutes to marry the flavors, tossing once or twice.
- Add cucumber, tomato and fresh cilantro, if you have it. Toss again. Serve.
Source: “Good Food, Great Medicine,” Miles Hassell MD, and Mea Hassell (2010)