Walk-Away Slow-Cook Chicken
Serves 4 plus leftovers
- 1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons combined of your favorite dried herbs/spices
- Rinse and dry chicken.
- Roughly chop onion and place in bottom of slow-cooker.
- Combine herbs and spices in a small bowl and gently rub on chicken.
- Place chicken in slow-cooker on top of onions. Set on low for 3-8 hours depending on your appliance.
- Before serving, drain the broth and save for Barley Chicken Soup
Per 3.5 oz serving: 177 calories, 27g protein, 0 carbohydrates, 7g fat (2g sat, 4g mono/poly), 83mg cholesterol, 0g fiber, 70mg sodium
Seasoned Cook: For a savory bird, add 1/2 a lemon in the cavity and choose spices such as thyme, sage and basil. For a Latin flair, use chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and cumin.
Cook Once, Eat Twice: Save leftover chicken and broth for soup.