Turkey club burger
Lighten up your traditional hamburger with lean ground turkey - less saturated fat, without less flavor.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 burger with toppings
For turkey burger:
- 12 ounces 99 percent fat-free ground turkey
- ½ cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces spinach or arugula, rinsed and dried
- 4 ounces portabella mushroom, rinsed, grilled or broiled, and sliced (optional)
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat oven broiler on high temperature (with the rack three inches from heat source) or grill on medium-high heat.
- To prepare burgers, combine ground turkey, scallions, pepper and egg, and mix well. Form into ½- to ¾-inch thick patties, and coat each lightly with olive oil.
- Broil or grill burgers for about seven to nine minutes on each side (to a minimum internal temperature of 160°F).
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard to make a spread.
- Assemble ¾ tablespoon spread, one ounce spinach or arugula, several slices of grilled portabella mushroom (optional), and one burger on each bun.
Calories 299; total fat 11 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 89 mg; sodium 393 mg; total fiber 5 g; protein 29 g; carbohydrates 26 g; potassium 424 mg.
Greek-style steak and turkey club burger recipes courtesy of "Keep the Beat Recipes" from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.