- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger or pumpkin pie spice (or try Chinese five-spice mix)
- 3 tablespoons lite teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 1 can (14½ ounces) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided into three 1-teaspoon portions
- ½ head Chinese (napa) cabbage, rinsed and cut in ½-inch strips (6 to 8 cups)
- 1 cup scallions, rinsed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced or pressed (about 2 to 3 cloves)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 cup red bell pepper, rinsed and sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, sliced
- Slice tofu lengthwise into four pieces. Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels. Cover with three more layers. Press evenly and gently with a flat plate or cutting board to squeeze out water, and throw away the paper towels. Replace with fresh paper towels and press again. Restack the slices and cut into half-inch wide strips. Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all strips lying on their widest side without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ginger (or pumpkin pie spice/Chinese five-spice mix), teriyaki sauce, sesame oil (optional) and a half-cup of the chicken broth. Stir well, then pour over the tofu. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Combine the remaining chicken broth and the cornstarch. Stir until the cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- In a large wok or large nonstick pan, heat one teaspoon of canola oil until very hot but not smoking. While the pan heats, drain tofu marinade into cornstarch mixture.
- Place half the tofu slices in the hot pan. Cook just until brown, about one minute per side. Remove from the pan and set aside. Repeat with one teaspoon of oil and remaining tofu.
- Add the last teaspoon of oil to the pan. Stir in half the cabbage, beginning with the stalk end, the scallions and the garlic. Cook and stir over high heat for two minutes.
- Add the carrots, red pepper and remaining cabbage. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Add the water chestnuts and tofu. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture, then add to the pan. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir for one minute, until sauce thickens and all ingredients are well mixed and thoroughly coated with sauce. Serve immediately.
232 calories, 16 g protein, 23 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 289 mg sodium, 1,504 mg potassium