- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup barley
- ¼ cup raisins, golden or black
- Dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon each fresh rosemary and marjoram, minced; or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté onion until translucent. Add mushrooms, celery and almonds. Cook three to five minutes.
- Stir in barley, raisins and seasonings until barley is coated with other ingredients.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil for two minutes; then reduce to simmer for 55 minutes.
Per serving: 254 calories, 10 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 80 mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart