This salad combines the convenience of nutritious canned black beans and sweet corn with fresh ingredients like cilantro, basil and crunchy jicama. Dressed in mustard yogurt vinaigrette and snappy barbecue sauce, it all adds up to a super speedy supper that's high in vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber.
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch black pepper
- 12 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 8 cups romaine lettuce and spinach leaves, torn
- 12 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ small jicama, diced into medium-sized pieces
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ 15-ounce can corn, drained (may substitute frozen corn, thawed)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced into medium-sized pieces
- Mix together all dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Place shredded chicken in another bowl, mix with barbecue sauce and toss to coat.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes. Top the salad with chicken, and circle with tomatoes.
- Serve salad and dressing family style, with dressing on the side.
Per serving (salad and dressing): 416 calories, 37 g protein, 52 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 628 mg sodium