- 4 baking apples, such as Rome or Jonathan Gold
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Core apples, leaving a half-inch at the bottom.
- Combine the dry ingredients plus ½ teaspoon of the water in a small bowl and mix; then spoon into the apple cavities until full.
- Set apples in an 8-inch square baking pan; pour the remainder of the water into the pan's bottom, seal in foil and bake for 30 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Serve warm. Top with a dollop of nonfat frozen yogurt or nonfat sour cream.
Per serving: 93 calories, 0 protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g fiber, 5 mg sodium