Roasted beets with orange sauce
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 cup beets
- 1½ pounds small beets, leaves trimmed, beets peeled and cut into four chunks
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 orange, rinsed (for peel and juice)
- ½ teaspoon anise seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the beets with the olive oil until well coated.
- Spread beets on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes. When done, beets should be easy to pierce with a sharp knife.
- While beets bake, grate the zest from the orange. Place in a small bowl. Cut the orange in half. Squeeze the juice (about ½ cup) into the bowl with the orange zest. (Use a large spoon to press the inside of the orange to extract more juice.) Add anise seeds (optional). Set aside.
- When the beets are tender, return them to the tossing bowl. Pour the juice mixture over the beets. Mix well to coat, and serve.
Nutrition information, per serving
Calories 59; total fat 0 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 88 mg; total fiber 4 g; protein 2 g; carbohydrates 12 g; potassium 387 mg
Recipes courtesy of "Keep the Beat Recipes" from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.