Red pepper hummus
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 head roasted garlic, husks removed (about 10 cloves)
- 1 large roasted red pepper, skin and seeds removed
- Chicken stock or water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut off the tops of garlic heads to expose cloves and place in an oven-safe sauce pan or ramekin. Add chicken stock or water to depth of a quarter-inch, cover tightly with foil and bake for one hour. Let cool.
- Wrap red pepper in foil and bake for one hour in the oven with the garlic. Let cool.
- Squeeze cooked garlic cloves from bottom to remove from head, and remove skin and seeds from pepper.
- Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve with raw vegetables or whole grain crackers.
Per serving with vegetables: 100 calories, 5 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 9 g fiber, 24 mg sodium