Quinoa with paprika and cumin
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a grain native to South America and makes a great side dish for lean meats and seafood.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika, or try smoked paprika for a unique flavor
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh colander.
- Place all ingredients in a saucepan with two cups of water. Cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate to reheat later.
Calories 107; total fat 2 g; saturated fat 0 g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 103 mg; total fiber 2 g; protein 4 g; carbohydrates 20 g; potassium 212 mg.
Recipes courtesy of "Keep the Beat Recipes" from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.