Pesto baked polenta
Instant whole-grain cornmeal, available in most grocery stores, provides a unique twist on a traditional Native American dish - and it's quick to fix.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: One wedge
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fine yellow (instant) wholegrain cornmeal (polenta)
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pesto sauce
- Fill a 4-quart saucepan with three cups of water. Add salt and pepper, cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When water boils, reduce heat to medium. Using a whisk or rubber spatula, quickly stir in cornmeal (polenta), cheese and pesto sauce. Continue stirring until well blended and thick, about one minute.
- Remove from heat. Pour the cornmeal mixture into an 8-inch pie pan or oven-safe dish. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Let stand until firm, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake polenta until heated through, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Cut into eight wedges. Serve hot.
Nutrition information, per serving
Calories 162; total fat 7 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 8 mg; sodium 302 mg; total fiber 0 g; protein 6 g; carbohydrates 20 g; potassium 49 mg.