For the broth:
- 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
For the fish:
- 4 6-ounce cod fillets, or substitute any sustainable white fish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 baby spinach leaves, plus 20-24 for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, wine and fish sauce. Add the curry paste, garlic and tamarind. Stir well to blend. Add the sugar, coriander and ginger. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for eight minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Place an ovenproof skillet over high heat for one minute. Add the oil. When it shimmers, add the cod fillets. Allow them to sear on one side for three minutes, then turn and sear the other side for about two minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until opaque in the center, about eight minutes.
3. In the bottom of each of four wide soup bowls, place a fish fillet and six spinach leaves. Pour an equal portion of broth into each bowl, and garnish each bowl with four or five leaves.
Courtesy of MichaelPollan.com, and also found in "The Pollan Family Table."