Oven-crusted chicken breast
A healthy way to fry chicken.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: One 3-ounce chicken breast, 1 cup of salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (three ounces each)
- 1 egg white (or substitute liquid egg white)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup rolled oats, crushed; pulse a few times in the food processor or crush between fingers to make smaller pieces
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place chicken in a freezer bag with the air squeezed out, and pound each breast down to ½-inch thickness.
- Combine the egg white and evaporated milk in a bowl, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and crushed oats, and mix well.
- Coat the chicken breasts in flour, and shake off the excess. Dip the chicken breasts in the egg and milk mixture, and drain off the excess. Then dip the chicken breasts in the breadcrumb mixture to coat, and shake off the excess. After all chicken breasts have been coated, discard any leftover breading mixture.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Stir fry the chicken over medium-high heat on one side until golden brown, about two to three minutes. Turn carefully, and pan fry the second side for an additional two to three minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the pan, and place on paper towels to soak up excess oil. Place on baking sheet, and finish cooking in a 350° F oven for about five to eight minutes, or to a minimum internal temperature of 165° F.
- For the salad, combine lemon juice and olive oil, and mix well to make a dressing. Toss the lettuce leaves and cherry tomatoes with the dressing, salt and pepper.
- Serve one cup of salad with one piece of chicken.
Nutrition information, per serving
Calories 264; total fat 11 g; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 49 mg; sodium 263 mg; total fiber 3 g; protein 24 g; carbohydrates 18 g; potassium 553 mg.