Roasted cauliflower and carrots in mustard sauce
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed into florets (about two cups)
- 4 large carrots (about one pound), diagonally cut into one-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For mustard sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon or other favorite mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a bowl, toss cauliflower florets and carrots with two teaspoons of olive oil and pepper. Cover and microwave five minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil spray. Place vegetables in a single layer on the sheet. Roast 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and cauliflower edges are browned.
- For the sauce: While the vegetables are roasting, combine olive oil, mustard, horseradish and honey in a small bowl.
- Remove vegetables from oven, toss with the sauce and parsley. Serve.
Per serving of salad: 131 calories, 3 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 5 g fiber, 194 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol
Dreamy carrot soufflé
- Nonstick pan spray
- 2 pounds carrots, boiled until soft (can use yams or sweet potatoes as substitute or in combination with carrots)
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 tablespoons matzo meal or bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons heart-healthy margarine, melted
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two-quart soufflé or casserole dish with nonstick pan spray.
- In food processor, puree carrots until smooth. Add all other ingredients except for nuts and process until smooth.
- Sprinkle nuts across top and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until soufflé is puffed and set in the middle.
Per serving of salad: 143 calories, 5 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g fiber, 186 mg sodium, 75 mg cholesterol
Courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart