2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about two to three cloves)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or one teaspoon dried)
½ teaspoon salt
6 ounces top sirloin or other beef steak cubes (12 cubes)
6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¾-inch cubes (12 cubes)
1 large white onion, cut into ¾-inch squares (12 pieces)
12 cherry tomatoes, rinsed
1 red bell pepper, rinsed and cut into ¾-inch squares (12 squares)
12 wooden or metal skewers, each six inches long (if wood, soak them in warm water for five to 10 minutes to prevent burning)
- Preheat grill pan or oven broiler (with the rack three inches from heat source) on high temperature.
- Combine ingredients for marinade, and divide between two bowls (one bowl to marinate the raw meat and one bowl for cooking and serving).
- Mix the beef, chicken, onion, tomatoes and red pepper cubes in one bowl of the marinade and let sit. After five minutes, discard remaining marinade.
- Place one piece of beef, chicken, tomato, onion and red pepper on each of the 12 skewers.
- Grill or broil on each of the four sides for two to three minutes or until completely cooked (to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F for beef and 165°F for chicken). Spoon most of the second half of the marinade over the kebabs while cooking.
- Serve three skewers per serving. Drizzle the remaining marinade on top of each kebab before serving (use only the marinade that did not touch the raw meat or chicken).
Per serving: 202 calories, 18 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 333 mg sodium, 432 mg potassium