- 3/4 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet peppers, yellow or red, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 14 to 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or white wine
- 1 tablespoon each oregano and basil
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Over medium heat, sauté the chicken in olive oil in a nonstick pan until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Coat pan with cooking spray; add onion, peppers and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent, three to five minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice and stir. Place the chicken over mixture, pour in wine or stock, and sprinkle with herbs.
- Cover the pan and lower the heat, simmering for 30 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Mash half of the beans and add to the pot, stirring into the liquid. Add the rest of beans and simmer for five minutes more. Serve in bowls.
- Serve with crusty bread and a green salad to complete your meal.
Per serving: 332 calories, 36 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 78 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 559 mg sodium