- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives, plus more for garnishing
- 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 2 heads lettuce, leaves torn
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream or evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large saucepan. When hot, add the onions and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the parsley, chives, tarragon and lettuce and stir until the lettuce is completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. When ready to serve, process the soup, in batches, taking care since the soup is hot, then return to a clean saucepan. Stir in the heavy cream or evaporated milk and the salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes, or until heated through. Adjust seasoning, if necessary, and serve immediately, garnished with fresh herbs and chive blossoms, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network.