Hearty beef stew
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon each of rosemary, sage and thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces lean beef steak cut in three-quarter-inch cubes
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 medium carrots, sliced half-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced half-inch thick, with leaves
- 1 medium potato in three-quarter-inch cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, low-sodium
- ¼ cup nonfat milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine flour, rosemary, sage, thyme and pepper in a plastic bag. Add beef and shake to coat. Reserve any excess flour mixture.
- Heat oil in stew pot on medium heat and brown beef on all sides, about five minutes. Remove beef from pot.
- Deglaze pot with one-quarter cup of beef stock. Add carrots, onions, celery, potato, garlic, mushrooms and remainder of stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Return beef to pot with vegetables, add tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are cooked, but still firm.
- Combine milk, reserved flour and cornstarch. Add mixture to pot and simmer until sauce thickens, about five minutes. Serve.
Per serving: 319 calories, 26 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 6 g fiber, 211 mg sodium, 56 mg cholesterol
Courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart