Grilled tuna with chickpea and spinach salad
Tuna is a sturdy fish that is easy to grill or broil.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 tuna steak, 1 cup salad
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about two to three cloves)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oregano, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 12-ounce tuna steaks, cut into four portions (3 ounces each)
- ½ can (15½ ounces) low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- ½ bag (10 ounces) leaf spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, rinsed and cut into wedges
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat grill pan or oven broiler, with the rack three inches from heat source, on high temperature.
- Combine oil, garlic, lemon juice and oregano, and brush over tuna steaks. Marinate for five to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all salad ingredients. The salad can be made up to two hours in advance and refrigerated.
- Grill or broil tuna on high heat for three to four minutes on each side until the flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork. The internal temperature should be, at minimum, 145°F.
- Serve one tuna steak over one cup of mixed salad.
Calories 282; total fat 10; saturated fat 2 g; cholesterol 42 mg; sodium 418 mg; total fiber 5 g; protein 31 g; carbohydrates 15 g; potassium 874 mg