This savory frittata showcases super foods that are low in calories and high in nutrients and anti-oxidants. Go green with kale, chard or spinach, and liven up this frittata's wholesome ingredients with sautéed onion, garlic and red pepper. This dish makes a super selection for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 bunch kale, Swiss chard or spinach (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut Julienne-style
- 4 eggs
- 8 egg whites
- Black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Place the rack in the center of your oven and set the cook temperature to broil.
- To prepare greens, remove the tough ribs and stems and chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Place olive oil in a nonstick, oven-proof skillet and sauté onion and garlic in the oil until golden. Add red pepper and sauté briefly. Add greens and just enough water – roughly a tablespoon – to wilt the greens. Cover the pan and allow the greens to steam until tender, five to 10 minutes; the denser the leaf, the longer the cooking time.
- In a separate bowl, whisk whole eggs and egg whites along with 2 tablespoons of water. Add black pepper.
- Remove the lid and pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil without the lid just until eggs are set, between six and eight minutes. Remove from the oven and cut into wedges.
Per serving: 212 calories, 18 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 216 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 287 mg sodium