- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 1 large onion, halved and cut in ¼-inch strips
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and cut in ¼-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon each of thyme and sage
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, divided
- Tomato slices
- Whole-wheat buns
- Turn on broiler, set to high or 500°F.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped mushroom stems, onions, peppers and herbs until onions are translucent.
- On a cookie sheet, broil the mushroom caps, stem-side down, for two to three minutes; then turn the mushrooms over and broil, stem-side up, for three to four minutes, or until liquid starts to accumulate in cap of mushroom.
- Spread the goat cheese in each cap and broil for two more minutes. Place mushroom on bun, and top with cooked vegetables, lettuce and tomato.
Per serving: 271 calories, 12 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 4 g monounsaturated fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 318 mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart