- ¼ cup scallions (green onions), rinsed and sliced into ¼-inch wide circles, including green tops
- ¼ cup celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 1¼ cups frozen yellow corn
- Half of a ripened avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or substitute 2 teaspoons dried coriander)
- 1 can (15½ ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup salsa or taco sauce (low sodium)
- 12 whole-wheat tortillas (9-inch diameter)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine scallions, celery and corn in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover.
- Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Drain vegetables. Set aside to cool.
- Combine avocado, cilantro and beans in a large mixing bowl. Add cheese and salsa, and mix.
- When corn mixture has cooled slightly, add to avocado mixture.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm each tortilla for about 15 seconds on each side. Place each tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture into the center of the tortilla. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling. Fold in the sides to make a closed packet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- When all tortillas are wrapped, continue heating in the oven 5 minutes, until all are warm and cheese is melted.
Per serving: 189 calories, 8 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 204 mg potassium
Courtesy of Keep the Beat™ Recipes, from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute