- Cooking spray
- ½ cup vegetable oil, such as canola
- ½ cup maple syrup, honey or cane syrup
- 1 cup raw, unsalted nuts such as walnut pieces or slivered, blanched almonds
- 1 cup seeds such as flax, hulled pumpkin or sunflower
- 5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly coat two large baking sheets with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oil and maple syrup with nuts, seeds, grains and spices. Stir well and spread thinly onto baking sheets.
- Bake for 20 minutes and stir mixture. Continue baking another 10 to 15 minutes until mixture is crispy and golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. Store in an air-tight container for about two weeks or in the freezer for as long as one month.
Per ½ cup serving: 270 calories, 7g protein, 27g carbohydrate, 16g fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g monounsaturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 4g fiber, 3mg sodium
Combine grains, seeds, nuts, fruits and spices to your family’s liking. While this recipe is high in fat, it’s the healthier fats. Pack individual portions for snacks on the go.