- Nonstick pan spray
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup whole roasted walnuts
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 firm, ripe Bartlett pears
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple or passion fruit jelly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an eight-inch removable-bottom tart pan and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine nuts and sugar; process until very finely ground. Add butter or margarine, egg whites, cocoa, vanilla and salt and process until combined. Spread mixture evenly in prepared pan.
- Peel, halve and core pears; cut lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick slices and rub with lemon to prevent discoloration. Arrange slices on chocolate mixture, slightly overlapping, without pressing in.
- Place pan on a baking sheet; bake until top is puffed and a toothpick inserted in center of chocolate comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- Heat jelly in the microwave or on the stove until liquefied. Gently brush pears with jelly, and let set for at least 20 minutes. Remove tart from pan and serve.
Per serving: 219 calories, 4 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 9 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart