Chia energy bars
Yields 9 bars
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- ¼ cup whole flax meal
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup dried fruit and nuts
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup peanut (or almond) butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8" x 8" pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Toss together the oats, quinoa, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, dried fruit and nuts, and egg white in a medium-sized mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Warm the honey, nut butter, salt and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until blended well. Don't let it boil, just let it get warm and fluid enough to blend easily with the dry ingredients, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the honey mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until everything is coated.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bars for 23 to 25 minutes, or until the oats on the edges start to turn golden brown. Remove pan from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
- To serve, cut into squares.
Courtesy of King Arthur Flour