- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, finely chopped or shredded (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into individual spears
- 1 tablespoon peanut or vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 tablespoons garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (about 8 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Slice the tofu into eight pieces. Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels. Top with four more paper towels. Top with another flat plate or cutting board. Press down evenly and gently to squeeze out moisture, then throw away the paper towels. Replace with fresh paper towels and press again. (The more liquid you remove, the more sauce the tofu will absorb.)
- Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all eight pieces lying on their widest side without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and ginger into a marinade, and stir thoroughly. Pour over tofu. Carefully turn the tofu several times to coat well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick sauté pan coated with cooking spray. Add broccoli and sauté for about five minutes, until it turns bright green and becomes tender and crispy. Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or flat sauté pan over high heat. Drain tofu, reserving marinade. Place on grill pan to heat for about three minutes. Gently turn. Heat the second side for three minutes.
- At the same time, in the sauté pan over medium-low heat, warm the peanut oil, crushed red pepper and garlic until the garlic softens and begins to turn brown, about 30 seconds to one minute. Add broccoli and reserved marinade, and gently mix until well coated.
- Place two slices of tofu on each plate with one-quarter of the broccoli and marinade mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
183 calories, 14 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 341 mg sodium, 556 mg potassium