Barley mushroom chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups chicken or other broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ cup hulled or pearled barley
- 2 cups mixed, chopped greens, such as spinach, beet greens or Swiss chard
- ½ teaspoon each salt, pepper and dried thyme
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot. Sauté onion, pepper, garlic and mushrooms until soft, about five minutes.
- Add chicken broth and water to onion mixture; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Stir in chicken and barley.
- Simmer until barley is tender, about 30 minutes for pearled barley, 60 minutes for hulled.
- Stir in mixed greens and seasonings in final 10 minutes of cooking.
Per serving: 166 calories, 12 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 19 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 291 mg sodium
Courtesy of the Well-Fed Heart