Asparagus with lemon sauce
- 20 medium asparagus spears, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 fresh lemon, rinsed (for peel and juice)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- Place one inch of water in a four-quart pot with a lid. Place a steamer basket inside the pot, and add asparagus. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium heat. Cook for five to 10 minutes, until asparagus is easily pierced with a sharp knife. Do not overcook.
- While the asparagus cooks, grate the lemon zest into a small bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bowl. Use the back of a spoon to press out extra juice and remove pits. Add mayonnaise, parsley, pepper and salt. Stir well. Set aside.
- When the asparagus is tender, remove the pot from the heat. Place asparagus spears in a serving bowl. Drizzle the lemon sauce evenly over the asparagus (about one and a half teaspoons per portion) and serve.
Per serving: 39 calories, 2 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 107 mg sodium, 241 mg potassium