Go ahead, have some dark chocolate
Research has found that dark chocolate can be good for you. Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which act as an antioxidant, protecting the body against aging. The antioxidants keep your heart healthy by protecting it from heart disease. Flavonoids have also been found to:
- Relax blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Balance hormones in your body
- Act as an antidepressant
- Stimulate the feeling of pleasure
But, before you go digging through your pantry to find a piece of chocolate you should know these facts.
- Dark chocolate has more antioxidants than milk chocolate and white chocolate, leading to the most health benefits. The darker the better.
- Milk may prevent your body from absorbing the antioxidants. Have a glass a milk when you are not eating your dark chocolate.
- Eat a plain piece of dark chocolate. Adding caramel, nuts or other flavorings will increase the calorie and fat counts.
Always remember, moderation is key. Be aware of how much chocolate you are consuming and know that you may have to decrease the amount of other treats you consume to not overload your body with extra calories and fat.