The Healthy Eating and Active Lifestyle (H.E.A.L.) Program is a yearlong evidence-based program designed for people with prediabetes and/or those at high risk for type 2 diabetes. The goal of the program is for members to achieve moderate weight loss by eating well and being active. It is a program focused on long-term changes and lasting results. It might sound like a long commitment, but learning new habits, gaining new skills, and building confidence takes time. Your coach will meet you where you are at, help to build motivation, and guide you through the change process. The program is offered in a group webinar format, with an option of 1:1 telephonic coaching upon request.
Who is eligible?
Providence Health Plan members covered under an eligible plan* who:
- Are 18 years of age or older.
- Have a BMI of 25 or higher, or 23 or higher for Asian Americans.
- Find out BMI at choosemyplate.gov/tools-BMI
Have at least one of the following:
- A fasting blood sugar of 100-125 mg/dL
- A hemoglobin A1c of 5.7%-6.4%
- A history of gestational diabetes
- A score of 5 or higher on the American Diabetes Association’s diabetes risk assessment
*Note: Not all PHP plans are eligible for H.E.A.L., Please call us if you are unsure of your eligibility.
What if I already have diabetes?
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you still may participate. However, it may be more appropriate to find a program specific to diabetes management. Please give us a call and we can work with you to determine if the H.E.A.L. program would support your health goals. You may also be interested in joining our standard health coaching program.
How much does Health Coaching cost?
Health Coaching is free to eligible members. We do not bill for the service.
What are the H.E.A.L. Program goals?
By the end of the first six months, the goal is for participants to:
- Lose at least 5 to 7 percent of their starting weight.
- Work up to at least 150 minutes of “moderate” physical activity each week.
What outcomes has the program achieved?
As of 2019, H.E.A.L. has achieved recognition status from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This means program participants have achieved at least an average weight loss of 5% and the CDC participation requirements. For additional health coaching program results, visit our health coaching results page.
What is included in the H.E.A.L. Program?
- Up to 26 web-based, interactive group coaching sessions facilitated by a certified health and wellness coach. The program begins with weekly sessions and then gradually spaces out to bi-weekly/monthly sessions. The sessions may be completed in a 1:1 format upon request.
- The CDC’s evidence-based curriculum with lessons, handouts and other resources to help participants make changes. Curriculum content is available in both PDF and video formats on our Health Coaching website.
- A wearable activity tracker.
- A support group of people with similar goals and challenges. Together, participants can share ideas, celebrate successes, and work to overcome obstacles. It can be easier to make changes working as a group than doing it on your own.
Can my spouse enroll in the H.E.A.L. Program?
If your spouse meets eligibility requirements and has insurance through Providence Health Plan, they may enroll. They must call the health coaching line to enroll.
How do I sign up for the program?
The first step to enrolling in the program is to participate in a phone screen by calling 888-819-8999 or 503-574-6000, or enrolling online.
Am I eligible?
Health coaching services are not available for all members. To determine program eligibility, please contact the health coaching program online using the form or call 888-819-8999 or 503-574-6000.