Creamy spinach soup
This soup is unexpectedly creamy, thanks to the potato. Serve as a first course or as a complete meal with sandwiches.
- 1 bunch spinach (8 ounces), stems removed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bunch cilantro (approximately one-quarter the size of the spinach bunch), stems removed
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of toasted almonds, slivered or sliced
- Dollop of plain yogurt (optional)
- In a small pot, bring water to boil and cook the potato until soft.
- In a medium pot, bring water to boil and add the spinach, cooking for three minutes. Drain the spinach, and discard the water.
- In a blender, add the spinach, potato, cilantro and milk. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer soup to the pot in which the spinach was boiled; season with salt and pepper, and reheat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of toasted almonds and a dash of nutmeg. Garnish with yogurt, if desired.
Per serving: 175 calories, 9 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 257 mg sodium
These recipes are featured in Providence's Northwest Guide to Heart-Healthy Living, 10th anniversary edition. Pick up a copy at local retail outlets, or call Providence Resource Line at 800-562-8964 to have a copy mailed to you. Visit www.providenceoregon.org/dish for more helpful resources.